Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Mix: Vacation Doodles


This past week, my boyfriend and I took a trip to the Florida Keys. It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment idea; we'd originally been planning to travel to Coachella, and then out of the country instead, but we didn't quite have enough money for either of those. Instead we took the 7 hour drive down the east coast of Florida to the Keys. Entirely inspiring, with so much beautiful wildlife - birds with bright splashes of color on their wings, big spiral-tailed lizards (chameleons?), feral iguanas, stingrays, dozens of little snails with twisted shells, countless different fishes - and amazingly clear, calm water. We turned off our phones and kept away from the internet and just enjoyed it. Above are some sketches I did while sunbathing on the beach at John Pennekamp State Park



Less exciting was the drive, and all the driving done in between Keys. I managed to sketch a little without getting carsick, but nothing too interesting, just girls from my head as usual. I want to paint what we saw while we were snorkeling. Glittering clouds of fish, sun rays falling into a black abyss.

2 comments:

  1. Do it! I'd love to see those bright glittering paintings. Idea: use actual glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I think they will be big, bigger than I usually work. I just hope I can capture what I have in my memory.

      Delete